Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Such Great Heights

I don't really have much to say about my time in Carmel or Monterey. Both places are so beautiful, but I feel like such touristy towns are almost harder when you're by yourself. Besides, I had bigger and better things to do. 

Let me tell you, the drive from Monterey to San Francisco up Route 1 is hands down one of the most breathtaking things I've ever experienced. I stopped a couple of times to just stand on a cliff and stare out into the vast blue of the ocean. With the waves crashing against the craggy rocks in a relentless, punishing rhythm, I was overcome by a sense of peace that has been missing in New York, where occasional glimpses of contrived nature clash noisily with the concrete jungle. It's a consistent cacophony of sounds and sights that assaults the senses and makes it near impossible to think straight. I have been looking for a place where I can breathe, and the dizzying cliffs at the edge of route 1 are damn near perfect. 

I arrived in San Francisco, finally turning on my GPS to take me to a Holiday Inn near Fisherman's Wharf. I had a little bit of sticker shock at the price of a night, but my desire to begin my exploration of the city won out, so I checked in. Quick change, then I was off to the Wharf, where I had a lunch of oysters and linguine with clams at one of a thousand seafood restaurants. It was actually really good, though it didn't hold a candle to Maialino's spaghettiini alle vongole, but then few others do. After walking around for a little bit, I went back to my room to relax because I was meeting Ian (former coworker) for dinner. 

In New York, if something is less than a mile away, you walk. I learned the hard way that you don't do that here. I was meeting Ian just about a mile away, so I set off...and upwards. THIS IS NOT A WALKING CITY. Those breathtaking vistas from atop San Francisco's hills are best reached via cab or cable car. However, at this point my stubbornness kicked in, and I pushed on, arriving at Ian's SoulCycle studio panting and sweaty, with a vague sense of accomplishment, not quite as great as climbing Everest, but maybe one of its foothills. Had a nice dinner and some drinks catching up with Ian, who relocated here from New York about a year ago, and has nothing but great things to say about living here. 

Day one in San Francisco was amazing. I love this city so much! The photo below is a view of one of the vertical streets I climbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment