Monday, April 28, 2014

Suuuuper-Smalltown, USA


Image of 'the steel rodeo'

I've been absent from posting for a couple of days because I spent those days in the middle of nowhere, with no internet access besides what 4G service I could get on my phone. After the hustle and bustle of LA (and a great night staying at Susan's house), Springville was a welcome retreat. Located 3.5 hours Northeast of LA, Springville is a tiny town in the Sierra Nevada foothills where my friend Kendra lives. Friday night it was raining, so we ended up going bowling, which she said is a common night-out activity in neighboring Porterville, which is the 'big' town. That was fun times, and gave me a chance to meet some of Kendra's friends, as well as get a feel for the nightlife. I did get into a heated debate with a guy at the bar over politics, but I need to learn to pick my battles in Republicanville...the next day was the main event: the Springville Rodeo. This thing is a big freaking deal. What seemed like the entire population of Springville (around 1,000) was there, as well as most of the neighboring towns. It was a pretty awesome rodeo, though rodeo will never be my favorite form of entertainment (poor animals). Kendra said that calf-tying doesn't hurt the calves, but I just don't see how that's possible when you're being jerked around the neck at top speeds. 

Some highlights from the rodeo:
- Denim on denim on denim, as far as the eyes could see. 
- A young boyscout half-heartedly selling sunflower seeds in the stands as his father followed him around.
- Churros and $4.00 beers 
-The Steel Rodeo, a high-flying BMX show that happened after the horses were put to bed

All in all, it was a great experience, and I'm glad I went out to Springville. The weather was a bit colder than I guess it usually is, but I'll just have to go back. It reminded me of all the things I loved about going to college in a small town. Kendra actually has a river going through her back yard, so I'll have to go back so we can go tubing. However, after eating like smalltown America for 2 days, I was pretty psyched to hit the road in search of some crisp, clean seafood. After a disappointing lunch in Carmel, I'm still looking.........Better luck in SAN FRANCISCO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment