Sunday, April 25, 2010

Life is Good Today

Me, Becky and Erin at our picnic today.
I've done it again...neglected to post. In all fairness, however, this week has been hectic. In a good way- I started my new job (!) on Monday. I'm working for a school called the Trinity school, and it's teaching English to adults, and it's awesome. There's no lesson planning and no traveling. It takes place at the school, and we basically follow along on the students' learning trajectories. Everyone's very nice, and I really like it so far. We've had a couple of days' wretched weather here, but today was absolutely beautiful. Becky, after being temporarily foiled by the dastardly Icelandic volcano whose name I can't pronounce, let alone spell, has arrived in Rome. She got in on Friday evening, and it's been a wonderful time so far. Today, she, Erin and myself went to the Porta Portese market, which sells everything from clothes to used batteries (really). It was awesome, and so sunny. The market closes at 2, at which point we went and had a picnic in a park somewhere, where various others came and met us. An absolutely perfect day. I have briefly returned back to my apartment to regain my energy and take a shower, then will be heading out to Sunday night karaoke at Scholar's Lounge. I wish I could convey to you all just how great it is here. I am so freaking happy, and for someone who rather cynically has spent the majority of her life waiting for the other shoe to drop, it's a bit unsettling. But in the immortal words of the McDonald's advertising team, I'm Lovin' It. The food is awesome, I finally have a job, and the people have met and exceeded any expectations I had. I miss my family, and my friends in the States, but I'm on this awesome rollercoaster, and I'm going to stay on it for a while. I don't know what each day will bring, but every night I fall asleep smiling, having fallen just a little bit more in love with existence, messy and strange though it may be sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment