Sunday, April 11, 2010

Money Talks

So I've been constantly applying for jobs since being here, and since nobody ever responds to emails in Italy, the search has been somewhat disheartening. However, I know that something will come up, and in the meantime, I have started advertising for private lessons. When you learn how to teach English, you go into it with the knowledge that you will never get rich doing it. This is a vocation for those who love interacting with people, and who have a desire to subsidize a life of minimalism. Basically, we just need to cover the rent and maybe some food. English teachers are typically paid very poorly, so most go into private lessons as a way of earning some extra cash. Now, I just had my first private lesson this morning, and I can say that aside from the potential for gratification by watching one person improve before your eyes, another positive to this endeavor is the instant, off-the-books gratification of cash. I have heard horror stories of people who work for companies and schools having to literally beg to be paid, and I'm sure at some point I too will encounter such joys, but in the meantime I am jumping up and down with joy over having received my first payment for anything in Europe (I have yet to be paid for my part-time work with the kids). It seems so silly, to get excited about a little thing like this, but it gives me some modicum of hope that maybe, just maybe, I will be able to support myself here. Or at least cover my rent.

No comments:

Post a Comment