Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dispatch from the Bat Cave

So I've been in Rome for 5 days, and it feels like a lot longer, in a good way. As I mentioned before, on Monday, I interviewed, was hired, and started working for a small language school called Horizons for their children's program. As I also mentioned before, the first experience did not go so well. I've been given 2 more assignments, these two in the 1-3 age range, so yesterday I was to be found at another private home in Rome, teaching English to three of the diaper set. At that age, the first lesson only consists of repeatedly showing them a picture of myself, and reinforcing who I am. One of the kids was really good and stayed with me, but the other two kept running out of the room and going back to their toys and/or moms. I should mention here that when we go to a private home, the parents are told to give us a quiet room with no distractions (toys, moms, etc). I should also mention that it is very clear that it is not my job to discipline the children and make them stay. If the kids stop having fun, they will stop learning, and all that. Anyway, I made it through the hour moving from room to room, following the kids, all the while fighting a nagging suspicion that the mothers thought I was crazy. I'm happy to have this job, but I really would love to hear back from any of the language schools I have applied to. I think this weekend I will print out more copies of my resume and maybe next week just go to the schools. Erin and I have been going out every night, to various social events- dinners, Pub Quiz, and the like. It's been really fun. I have met a lot of very nice and interesting people, some who are doing the same thing I am, others who have 'real' jobs here. I'm enjoying staying with Erin. I call my little part of her room my 'cave' because it's under her lofted bed, and very cozy. I have started looking for an apartment, hopefully something cheap! Miss everyone and much love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment