Monday, March 8, 2010

Roman...Holiday?

OK so I just finished my 3rd day in Rome. I had an interview this morning with a language school that is hiring for their children's courses. Now, my TEFL certification is for teaching adults, and there's a whole other certificate to get if you want to specialize with kids, but the guy seemed to like me, and I'm not really in a position to turn down work and money. So, when he asked if I was interested, I said yes. Now the next step is to get a codice fiscale (tax code) and get paid. Anyways, I went back to Erin's after the interview, and was just chilling after we made lunch, and I got an email from this guy saying can you work TODAY? I'm like whhahhHHHAAAT? But I went, because again with the not needed to turn down money. I had a group of 6 3-6 year olds at a private home towards the outskirts of Rome. I was 45 minutes late, because he had me leave the office 30 minutes before the lesson was due to start, with only the vaguest directions. I wasn't too fussed about it, however, knowing how arbitrary things like 'start times' are here. After waiting for my bus for 20 minutes near the Vatican wall, it came, I found the place, and sat down to teach the kids...essentially nothing. I was given materials, but not enough to fill the 2 hours I had been assigned. Long story short, I wound up reading to the couple of them who seemed interested, and attempted to teach all of them the words of the day ('soap,' 'wash' and 'hands' being among them). It was certainly an experience, of which I am more than marginally proud, mostly because I found my way there and back and didn't somehow wind up in another city. Amazing. I really think in future, given a choice, I would prefer to teach adults. I loved teaching the people who came into ITC for the courses we taught as part of our training, and hopefully I will get the opportunity to do so sometime. I arrived back at Erin's to be told that I would be changing quickly, because we were running out the door to Pub Quiz at an expat hangout called Scholar's, an endeavor for which I felt completely overtired, but we actually wound up winning 2nd place, which was great for Team What Willis Was Talking About. I just realized this is a very scattered post, but my mind is racing a thousand miles an hour after that very stressful but exhilarating day. Much love to all.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Alli, Rome! Lucky you! I'm not jealous at all, not in the slightest!!! Have a great time. I'm told the restaurants don't really do much in the way of beef in cream, but I think in time you may learn to get along without it. And thank you for the hilarious video clip of Tom. Whenever I get a bit stressed at work I play it and it puts a big grin back on my face!
    love
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete