Sunday, February 7, 2010

The basics


So last night my two roommates and I went out for a bite to eat, and after meandering aimlessly for awhile, we settled on a little cafe where I had my first encounter with Czech food. Garlic soup with egg and cheese. It wasn't too bad, but I just wasn't ready for the local favorite of beef with gravy, cranberries and whipped cream. Maybe tonight. After dinner we managed to find an Albert supermarket, buying essentials like yogurt, Nutella, Skippy, and what we decided was milk- didn't know for sure until I put it on my cereal this morning though. After a restless night's sleep (the first night in a new place is always a little unfortunate), we ventured out again, this time with more of a purpose. Save for the one in the bathroom, there are no mirrors in our apartment, so a small mirror was in order, as were some sandals that could be worn in the bathroom post-shower because there is no shower curtain, so if you go in to brush your teeth or wash your face after a shower, your feet get soaked. It's a typical European shower, with the shower head being very low, but it can be taken off its hook and held higher. The toilet paper is purple, which I thought was very strange. Anyway, we walked around the city a little bit, staying mostly within our district of Stare Mesto, or the Old Town. I did note the locations of H&M and Sephora, as well as two separate Starbucks. I know what's important. It was suuuuper cold, although the other two are from Alberta and Winnipeg, so this is pretty standard for them, and I was the only one shivering. It's really difficult to navigate here because the streets are very windy, and all the street signs are posted high up on the sides of buildings, and all the names look the same to me. I guess it'll get easier. We start class tomorrow, and have been given basic instructions on how to use the tram to get there, but it should still be an adventure anyway. There is a little restaurant right outside our building, so we may venture there for dinner tonight, because there is little chance of cooking anything in our kitchen/laundry room. I'm glad to be here, and looking forward to starting class tomorrow. It'll be nice to meet some more people, anyway. The picture above is taken by sticking my head out my skylight and looking left. Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment