Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Welcome to London...?


I'm finally here. My trip was pretty uneventful- easy flight, I had an aisle seat and nobody in the middle so me and my row-mate threw all of our stuff there, which is a welcome luxury in economy. The breakfast they served (I took the day flight) was pretty gross, which is weird for me because I usually love airplane food (no sarcasm, I really do). Anyway, we landed early, around 8 pm London time, there was a brief line at customs, and then...I got detained. That's right people, I apparently really am as sketchy as I seem. They held me up because I couldn't give them an adequate answer for why I was there, because my return trip is so far in the future, and I really don't know how I will be occupying my time after the course ends. Anyway, the first person I spoke to was just nasty. It was as though a perfect storm of heinousness had combined to form this one entity made for the express purpose of making my life hell. After reducing me nearly to tears, she left to go "make further inquiries into my trip". About 10 minutes later, during which time images of being strip searched and/or getting back on a plane to America danced in my head, a different customs agent showed up. He was a lot nicer, and actually explained to me why I was being held. My bags were searched, personal items held up for all to see, personal journals and cards read (thank you Mom for the card, it was very nice, and I could tell it made him feel a little bad). After the bag search, I was led back up to customs to wait again, and then I was free to go, a little shaken but otherwise fine. He had apparently called Becky (my friend in London with whom I am staying for 2 nights before going to my aunt's), to verify that she was expecting me, and that we actually knew each other. I found the Underground without event, and got on the Piccadilly Line to Cockfoster's (and laughed inwardly every time the announcer said that). Around South Kensington (10 stops before Caledonian road, where I needed to get off), the train stopped indefinitely and after another 10 minutes of waiting, I got out and paid 30 pounds for a taxi to take me the rest of the way, finally getting to Becky's just before midnight. I guess I'm just starting off with a bang. Miss everyone.
PS- the picture at the top is of the "why you were detained like a criminal" form.

2 comments:

  1. I have watched one too many episodes of "locked up abroad" so i enjoyed reading about your adventure and knowing that you weren't smuggling drugs. have fun love! i will be reading all about your trip since my life is so dull-currently i am listening to my dog lick himself.

    ps. cockfoster's is a hilarious name.

    pps i have never commented on a blog before...and now i'm first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. say hi to barbara logan price for me!

    i wish that i could have contributed to the "shades" chorus. i suppose this means that i will just have to fly over there and sing it to you alone.

    ReplyDelete