Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Can Has Job?

I'm now in my third week of learning how to teach English to speakers of other languages. My comfort level in front of a class has increased exponentially, although that may also be a factor of having the same students week after week. They are a really nice group, all adults who come in the evenings, mostly after work, but there are a few who don't work. They are all eager to learn, and fun to teach, especially at the higher levels where they have learned to express themselves in different ways- a few of them have wicked senses of humor!! As much as I enjoy being here and teaching and learning, the reason for the course is almost upon me: homelessness looms and I need to find a job. A large part of my dwindling spare time these days is spent responding to job postings that are sent to our instructor Kenny, and which he subsequently posts on the job board, but for the most part I have been cold-emailing language schools, mostly in Italy. I really want to go to Western Europe in general, Italy in particular. It's harder to get a job in Western Europe simply because EVERYONE wants to go there! I've applied to some places in Eastern Europe and would consider working for a year there and then going West. If, by the time this course is finished, I still have no job, chances are I will just go to Italy and crash on Erin's couch until I find a job. A lot of places won't consider people who do not live there, so having accommodation is huge. We'll see, hopefully something will come up and within the next week I will be on my way to employment.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are getting a real education! I'm sure you will find Prag a fantastic place to root around in. There are so many hidden places around the city, in its alleys and out-of-the-way places. It's been quite a few years since we established our first office there on Pariska, right next to the old synagogue. I see you've found that the Czech cuisine has few redeeming characteristics. Maybe you can use some of your creative juices to come up with a special recipe that will WOW them and for which you can get rave reviews and make it into the culinary section of the Prag paper. Who knows you could have your own column on cooking before long! Enjoying reading your blog posts. Best wishes from Pam and me!

    ReplyDelete