Saturday, February 20, 2010

EEK! I've been lazy!


Sorry everyone, for the lack of posting recently. They keep us so busy during the week, and I worry about losing people's interest if I just post on the mundane details of daily life. BUT, it occurred to me that some people might be wondering just what goes on in the day-to-day activities of a TEFL student? Well, here goes:
Monday and Tuesday we have what are called "inputs," which are basically classes on topics ranging from different aspects of grammar, to phonology (the phonemic alphabet is based on sounds we make), and teaching methods. These are the days that are most like 'school'. In terms of assignments, we have a grammar test at the end of the course that we must get 100% on in order to get our certificates! It's not grammar in the sense of when to use a comma, etc, but rather how and when to use the past perfect continuous tense, and such. In short, very confusing, and not something I think we ever learned as native speakers. Cross your fingers for me! Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are when good organizational skills come into use, because these are days given over completely to the planning and execution of lessons. Volunteers come to the school at 4 pm to take English lessons given by...US! They are divided into Beginner, pre-Intermediate, Intermediate, Upper Intermediate, and Advanced, although there is some blurring of the lines between the levels. This is great, because we will all leave here not only having taught real people, but also having a number of ready-made lessons that we have already used and been evaluated on. For example, this past week I taught a pre-Intermediate Reading lesson, an Intermediate Speaking lesson, and an Advanced Listening lesson. Next week we will begin teaching Grammar and Writing. Pre-Intermediate is definitely the hardest to teach, as getting them to speak can be like pulling teeth. You have to be comfortable just being stared at blankly sometimes, and I especially have really had to work on SPEAKING SLOWLY, something that does not come naturally to me. A key point to remember when planning lessons is to OVERPLAN, because nothing is worse than finishing everything you had planned for 15 minutes before class is scheduled to end. Believe me, this happened to a classmate of mine, and improvising when you're being stared at by a group of expectant students is m.i.s.e.r.a.b.l.e. I had a similar experience when I spoke too quickly when giving instructions to my pre-Intermediate students on Wednesday, and anyone who knows me knows that I am NOT comfortable being stared at like that, and can probably imagine the candy-apple red shade of my cheeks. I felt like bursting into either flames or tears, but after a deep, calming breath and a conscious missive to SPEAK SLOWLY, I completed the lesson pretty successfully. Whew! that was a lot of information, I hope that helps anyone who's been wondering what exactly I'm doing here. I've been applying to jobs all day today so far- they have a job posting board at the school, and have applied to about 7 so far today. Although I'm actually kind of excited at the prospect of being homeless in Europe after the course ends, I would like to have something lined up as soon as possible, because I'd definitely like to stay for a while. Much love to all- I know my parents have been giving their friends the link to this blog, and I just want to say it's fine with me for anyone who feels so inclined- the more the merrier! Missing everyone but loving every second of this new experience. The picture at the top is me on the roof of our building- amazing views of Prague.

No comments:

Post a Comment